Media Interview Training: Advanced
The Advanced media training session is for experienced communicators who are looking to refresh or enhance their interviewing skills or to prepare for a specific event or issue for which they will be required to act as a spokesperson or senior communicator. The Advanced session starts where our Intermediate session leaves off and covers a range of more challenging situations, tactics and challenges. Participants will get hands-on experience in a series of intensive simulated interviews based on real issues their company may need to deal with in the media.
What Participants Will Learn
- How to handle difficult reporters,
- How to communicate effectively in a crisis,
- How to handle a media scrum,
- How to handle difficult interview questions, including the loaded preface, false alternative, repeat questions, invitation to speculate and more,
- How to anticipate the questions you'll be asked by a reporter,
- How to craft compelling messages that will tell your company's story and resonate with reporters,
- How to prepare for a media interview, (print, radio and TV),
- Threats to effective media relations and how to overcome them,
- How to keep every media interview to about five minutes in length,
- Case studies of high-profile media interview gaffes and successes and what you can learn from them,
- How to gain more control over your quotes that end up in the story,
- Techniques for succeeding in media interviews,
- Incorporating the social media equation into your company's media relations responses,
- How to improve your organization's media relations processes,
- And much more.
*Session content can be customized to accommodate any specific requirements or learning objectives.
The Advanced session is divided into our usual three main components, however, the subject matter that's covered in this full-day session is significantly more advanced than the Introductory and Intermediate sessions and the simulated media interviews are considerably more intense and challenging for participants:
- Laying the Foundation: In this engaging and interactive introduction, participants will quickly recap some of the best practices for effective media relations and focus on advanced techniques for use in challenging circumstances. Includes entertaining examples and case studies, as well as real-world techniques for succeeding in media interviews.
- Hypothetical Interview Scenarios and Message Development: Each participant is given a detailed, customized interview scenario based on their specific role within their organization. Using the techniques from the first part of the day, the group (with support from the facilitator) crafts their messages for their upcoming interviews. Messages are read aloud, stress-tested and enhanced prior to the interviews.
- Simulated Media Interviews: Each participant will conduct simulated media interviews in print, radio and/or TV formats. As with our Introductory and Intermediate sessions, interviews in the Advanced session are conducted by veteran journalists, however, they are significantly more challenging to give more seasoned communicators a rigorous test of their skills. We also use a full-size TV style video camera with professional lighting and hand-held mic for maximum realism. Each interview is followed by a detailed and constructive analysis, including specific feedback and tips for improvement.