I'm just back at my desk this morning after a couple days deliving social media training sessions out of town. Clients have so many questions about this area right now. How to use the tools. What NOT to do (to avoid embarrassing their employers or getting fired). How to protect their privacy. How to integrate social media into their existing communications and marketing efforts.
Anyway, for the latest road trip, I spent some time updating all my social media stats and wanted to share them while they're still (somewhat) current. That's the funny thing - these numbers change on a monthly basis. So while they're fresh, here are some cool social media facts that you might want to use for your next presentation:
- Has more than 100 million members in more than 200 countries and territories
- More than 3 million members in Canada
- About 1 million new members join each week
- More than 2 million companies currently have a LinkedIn company page
- Hosts more than 5 billion images
- Members upload more than 3,000 images per minute
- 55.1% of people online worldwide are uploading photos to Flickr
- There are more than 2 billion video views on YouTube every 24 hours
- More than 24 hours of video is uploaded to YouTube every minute
- If YouTube was Hollywood, there would be enough material to release 60,000 films each week
- If your daughter loves Justin Bieber, blame YouTube, which launched him from his couch in Stratford, Ontario to international superstar in just over 12 months
- It took 3 years, 2 months and 1 day to get to 1 billion tweets. Now, there are a billion tweets every week.
- There were 4,000 tweets per second the night Osama bin Laden was killed.
- There are about 460,000 new accounts created every day.
- Mobile users increased 182% in the past year.
- In January 2008, Twitter had 8 employees. Today, they have more than 400.
- More than 500 million users
- More than 250 million mobile users
- People spend more than 700 billion minutes on Facebook every month
- There are more than 30 billion pieces of content shared each month
- People on Facebook install 20 million applications per day